I've been threatening to write about food for a long time, but in my constant struggle with "eating healthy" I've been a little ashamed to talk about my over-indulging. But no more! I just tweaked an AMAZING recipe for one of my all time favorites - macaroni and cheese!! This even passed my husband's taste test - and this is the man who would cook everything in bacon fat if he was allowed. Comfort food lovers REJOICE!!
Happy Healthy Mac n Cheese
4 oz chicken and sun-dried tomato sausage (I used the brats from Sam's Club and just cut the skins off - but I've also tried it with Jimmy Dean Reduced Fat breakfast sausage and it was DARN yummy!) 1 1/4 cups fat-free milk 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (use the 2% milk variety from Kraft) 1/4 cup fat free shredded cheddar cheese 1/3 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese (again - the 2% milk variety from Kraft) 1/4 cup reduced fat cream cheese 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt 8oz uncooked whole wheat pasta (I like rotini but use whatever makes you happy!)
1. Cook pasta according to directions.
2. While water is boiling/pasta is cooking, in a large non-stick pan cook sausage 4 minutes or until brown and crumbly.
3. Whisk milk and flour together in a small bowl and add to pan.
4. Bring sausage/milk/flour mixture to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium and add cheeses and garlic salt.
5. Cook until cheeses melt, stirring constantly.
6. Stir in hot pasta - and enjoy!